Installing mods allows you to upgrade a portal with certain enhancements. Each portal has four mod slots, each of which can hold one mod. Once a mod is installed, it cannot be upgraded or removed; the only way to get rid of it is to destroy it or allow the portal to decay. Installing mods helps you progress towards the Engineer medal.
To install a mod on a portal, you must fulfill the following prerequisites:
- The target portal must be owned by your faction.
- You must be standing within 40 meters of the portal.
- You must have the mod you wish to install in your inventory.
- You must have enough XM to cover the cost of installation (see table below).
- The portal must have at least one open mod slot.
- You must not own more than one mod already installed on the portal.
How to Install a Mod
Select the portal and tap the “Mod status” button. You will be shown the portal’s four mod slots and the mods are currently installed in them (if any). Tap an empty slot to select it, and a carousel will appear showing all the mods in your inventory. Scroll the carousel until the mod you wish to install is in the brackets, then tap “Install.” If the button is disabled, tapping it will tell you why you can’t install the mod. (See the prerequisites list above.) Installing a mod grants 125 AP, but costs XM based on the mod’s rarity:
|Very Rare||1,000 XM|