The avatar at the upper-left corner of your scanner can have up to sixteen segments around it, eight large outer ones in your faction‘s color, and eight small inner yellow ones. The number of segments indicates an agent’s current level. This avatar is also visible on any agent’s profile screen; you can view yours by tapping your avatar.
As a new recruit, you start as a level 1 agent. You level up when you reach certain AP thresholds (see table below). The meter across the very top of your scanner screen shows your AP progress towards the next level. Tapping that bar will cause your current AP and the AP required for the next level to appear briefly on the screen. These values are also displayed on any agent’s profile screen.
Starting with level 9, you must also achieve certain tiered medal counts in addition to reaching an AP threshold to level up. The highest agent level is 16.
When you level up:
- you gain the ability to use items of that level (up to level 8),
- the maximum capacity of your XM reserves increases,
- your maximum recharge distance increases,
- the capacity of supplemental XM tanks provided by Lawson power cubes increases, and
- you receive a field kit containing inventory items.
Requirements and Benefits
|1||0||3,000 XM||18,000 XM||250 km|
|2||2,500||4,000 XM||20,250 XM||500 km|
|3||20,000||5,000 XM||22,500 XM||750 km|
|4||70,000||6,000 XM||24,750 XM||1,000 km|
|5||150,000||7,000 XM||27,000 XM||1,250 km|
|6||300,000||8,000 XM||29,250 XM||1,500 km|
|7||600,000||9,000 XM||31,500 XM||1,750 km|
|8||1,200,000||10,000 XM||33,750 XM||2,000 km|
|9||2,400,000||4||1||11,500 XM||36,000 XM||2,250 km|
|10||4,000,000||5||2||13,000 XM||38,400 XM||2,500 km|
|11||6,000,000||6||4||14,500 XM||40,800 XM||2,750 km|
|12||8,400,000||7||6||16,000 XM||43,200 XM||3,000 km|
|13||12,000,000||7||1||17,500 XM||45,600 XM||3,250 km|
|14||17,000,000||2||19,000 XM||48,000 XM||3,500 km|
|15||24,000,000||3||20,500 XM||50,400 XM||3,750 km|
|16||40,000,000||4||2||22,000 XM||52,800 XM||4,000 km|
All leveled items are given at the agent’s new level, up to level 8.
* Level 10, for some reason, gives five fewer resonators.
When comparing two portals, the portal with the higher level will:
- appear larger in the scanner,
- spew more XM on the ground around it,
- do more damage to enemy agents,
- be harder to destroy (when fully charged),
- require more XM to fully recharge,
- cost more to flip, and
- give higher-level gear when hacked.
A portal’s level is determined by summing the levels of its deployed resonators and dividing by 8, rounding down (unless the result is 0, in which case you round up). The highest portal level is 8.
Some items are leveled; higher-level items are more effective than lower ones. The highest item level is 8. You cannot use items that are higher level than you. Below is a list of leveled items and the effect level has on them; see the corresponding articles for those items for more details:
- Power cube: Affects the amount of XM obtained on use
- Resonator: Contributes to the portal’s overall level, dictates the total amount of XM the resonator contains, and limits how many resonators of that level can be deployed on the same portal by one agent
- XMP and ultra strike: Affects XM cost, damage and range