Your current level is displayed at the upper-right of the scanner screen and your agent profile. As a new recruit, you start as a level 1 agent. You level up when you reach certain AP thresholds (see table below). The green or blue meter around your avatar at the upper left of the scanner screen displays your AP progress towards the next level. Tapping that meter will cause your current AP and the AP required for the next level to appear briefly on the screen. Your progress is also visible on your agent profile.
Starting with level 9, you must also achieve certain tiered medal counts in addition to reaching an AP threshold to level up. The medal requirements for the next level will be displayed below your current AP on your agent profile. The highest agent level is 16.
When you level up:
- you gain the ability to use items of that level (up to level 8, the highest item level),
- the maximum capacity of your XM reserves increases,
- your maximum recharge distance increases,
- the capacity of XM tanks increases, and
- you receive a field kit containing inventory items.
Additional privileges are granted at certain levels:
- Level 7: Access to the mission creator tool
- Level 10: New portal submission
- Level 12: Access to Operation Portal Recon (after passing the test)
Note that all the benefits and privileges you gain from leveling are retained when you recurse, except that you will lose the ability to use items higher than your level.
Requirements and Benefits
|1||0||3,000 XM||18,000 XM||250 km|
|2||2,500||4,000 XM||20,250 XM||500 km|
|3||20,000||5,000 XM||22,500 XM||750 km|
|4||70,000||6,000 XM||24,750 XM||1,000 km|
|5||150,000||7,000 XM||27,000 XM||1,250 km|
|6||300,000||8,000 XM||29,250 XM||1,500 km|
|7||600,000||9,000 XM||31,500 XM||1,750 km|
|8||1,200,000||10,000 XM||33,750 XM||2,000 km|
|9||2,400,000||4||1||11,500 XM||36,000 XM||2,250 km|
|10||4,000,000||5||2||13,000 XM||38,400 XM||2,500 km|
|11||6,000,000||6||4||14,500 XM||40,800 XM||2,750 km|
|12||8,400,000||7||6||16,000 XM||43,200 XM||3,000 km|
|13||12,000,000||7||1||17,500 XM||45,600 XM||3,250 km|
|14||17,000,000||2||19,000 XM||48,000 XM||3,500 km|
|15||24,000,000||3||20,500 XM||50,400 XM||3,750 km|
|16||40,000,000||4||2||22,000 XM||52,800 XM||4,000 km|
All leveled items are given at the agent’s new level, up to level 8.
* Level 10, for some reason, gives five fewer resonators.
- 30 January 2014: Field kits and the fancy visual effects displayed in the scanner for leveling up are introduced.
- 6 May 2014: The agent level cap is raised from 8 to 16.
- 24 November 2014: The mission creator, originally available only to select agents, is made available to level 9 agents.
- 4 December 2014: The level requirement for the mission creator is reduced to level 8.
- 21 April 2015: The level requirement for the mission creator is reduced to level 7.
- 3 September 2015: Portal submission, originally available to all agents, is suspended.
- 10 May 2017: Operation Portal Recon becomes available to all level 16 agents.
- 12 June 2017: The requirement for OPR is reduced to level 15.
- 27 June 2017: The requirement for OPR is reduced to level 14.
- 5 July 2017: The requirement for OPR is reduced to level 13.
- 11 July 2017: The requirement for OPR is reduced to level 12.
- 25 September 2017: Portal submissions are re-enabled for level 11 agents.
- 10 November 2017: Threshold for portal submissions is reduced to level 10.
When comparing two portals, the portal with the higher level will:
- appear larger in the scanner,
- spew more XM on the ground around it,
- do more damage to enemy agents,
- be harder to destroy (when fully charged),
- require more XM to fully recharge,
- cost more to flip, and
- give higher-level gear when hacked.
A portal’s level is determined by summing the levels of its deployed resonators and dividing by 8, rounding down (unless the result is 0, in which case you round up). The highest portal level is 8.
Some items are leveled; higher-level items are more effective than lower ones. The highest item level is 8. You cannot use items that are higher level than you. Below is a list of leveled items and the effect level has on them; see the corresponding articles for those items for more details:
- Power cube: Affects the amount of XM obtained on use
- Resonator: Contributes to the portal’s overall level, dictates the total amount of XM the resonator contains, and limits how many resonators of that level can be deployed on the same portal by one agent
- XMP and ultra strike: Affects XM cost, damage and range