The Scout Controller medal is awarded for earning scout controller points.
A portal‘s scout controller is the agent that has scanned that portal more than any other agent in the last 30 days. The number of scans by that agent in the last 30 days is displayed on the portal’s detail card. When you exceed that number of scans on that portal in 30 days, you become the new scout controller. Doing this may earn you scout controller points:
- 1 point for becoming scout controller for this portal
- 2 points for taking scout controller status of this portal (when you weren’t scout controller already) while it is volatile
These points may only be claimed once per portal; if you’ve already earned the point for becoming scout controller for a portal, becoming its scout controller again won’t earn you another point. Thus, you may earn no more than three points from any one portal.
Your agent profile displays your current number of scout controller points (under “Uniques Scout Controlled”). The value of this stat is what counts toward the Scout Controller medal.
- Volatile scout controller portals are identified by a yellow ornament on the portal; in the scanner, it is square and rotating; in the intel map, it is round with six marks in three groups around it and does not rotate.
- To get the two points for a volatile portal, you must take scout controller status, not just retain it. You cannot get the points by scanning the portal when you are already the scout controller. This is true even if it has been more than 30 days since you last scanned the portal.
- The set of volatile scout controller portals changes from time to time. The number of scout controller points you have is not changed by portals gaining or losing volatile status.
The “Scout Controlled” layer can help you find portals you haven’t scout controlled yet for this medal.
- 10 July 2020: The Scout Controller medal is introduced.
- 16 September 2020: The onyx tier was reduced from 15,000 unique scans to 12,000.
- 10 December 2020: Volatile Scout Controller portals are introduced. Medal thresholds are now based on scout controller points, not scans.