Niantic Labs found it difficult to keep up with the portal submission backlog. As a result, the status of the Seer medal has evolved over time:
- 12 September 2013: The medal system is introduced with eight possible medals, including the Seer medal.
- 1 January 2015: The Seer medal is suspended. What this means is that starting at this date, new portal submissions do not count toward the Seer medal. Niantic continues to process submissions, and those submitted before the cutoff date still count toward the Seer medal. The “Portals Discovered” statistic on the agent profile shows all approvals, whether they were submitted before the cutoff date or not. Niantic states that the suspension of the Seer medal is intended to be temporary.
- 3 September 2015: Niantic Labs disables portal submissions, indicating that they will return once the system has been overhauled.
- 17 November 2016: Niantic Labs announces the private beta of Operation Portal Recon, a new system for validating candidate portals. It is initially available only to specifically-invited agents in certain regions of the world. Portal submissions remain disabled and the Seer medal remains suspended.
- 10 May 2017: OPR leaves private beta, becoming available to all level 16 agents. People begin receiving Seer medal upgrades as their pre-cutoff submissions are approved. Post-cutoff submissions still don’t count and portal submissions remain disabled.
- 12 June 2017: OPR access is extended to level 15 agents. The Recon medal is also announced.
- 27 June 2017: OPR access is extended to level 14 agents.
- 5 July 2017: OPR access is extended to level 13 agents.
- 11 July 2017: OPR access is extended to level 12 agents.
- 22 August 2017: A teardown of Ingress 1.122.0 reveals that changes have been introduced into the scanner toward enabling portal submissions at a future date.
- 25 September 2017: Portal submissions are re-enabled for agents at level 11 or higher. Niantic says that submissions that we made up to the time that submissions were disabled (i.e., submitted before 3 September 2015) will eventually count toward the Seer medal, but new submissions will not. The next day, Andrew Krug indicates that Niantic has no intention of restoring the Seer medal “at this time.”
- 10 November 2017: Threshold for portal submissions lowered to level 10.
- 20 November 2017: Niantic provides an update stating that, as per the announcement made on 25 September, all accepted submissions made before 3 September 2015 will be applied toward the Seer medal over the next few days.